An evening to celebrate the achivements of the teams of the South Cheshire Youth League took place on Friday 17th May 2013 at Nantwich Civic Hall.
The South Cheshire Youth League was founded by Wilf Saunders in 1978 as a non profit making organisation.
The aim of the league is to provide enjoyable football on Sunday mornings for boys and girls of mixed abilities and to ensure that whatever a players ability they are given an equal opportunity to participate in and enjoy football.
Hundreds of children and their families packed into Nantwich Civic Hall for this years End Of Season Celebration Evening.
The presentations began with the League Secretary Dave Brooks, Registrations Secretary Mrs Tina Wood & Fixtures Secretary Mr Mark Wood welcoming everyone to the evenings celebrations.
Dave Brooks gave a rundown of some of the notable sporting news from the UK footballing scene.
He went on to talk about how the Youth league has progressed over the years.
Sometimes we all get wrapped up in our own little world and forget that it is all about all the young people within our league.
As a committee we have to make decisions with everyone’s best interests in mind and sometimes it may be hard for individuals to understand why a particular decision has been made.
To give you some sort of idea, we have:
- 22 clubs
- 61 teams
- Over 900 players plus managers, assistants, referees etc.
With that many people to look after it is important we all follow the communications channels as advised to your team manager.
Dave went on to explain how the whole face of grass roots football is changing, with this year seeing the introduction of 9 v 9 for the Under 12’s which will also be extended to the Under 11 and Under 13 age groups next season.
Before the awards began Dave introduced onto the stage ex Crewe Alexandra FC manger and President of the South Cheshire Youth League Mr Dario Gradi along with Paul Antrobus who looks after the facility at Reaseheath.
Assisting both of them is the Chairman and founder of the League, Mr Wilf Saunders.
It was then time for Dave to begin the awards, he said:
Each year we are able to prove to these teams that the SCYL is the place to be. There is some great young talent amongst these young players and they put everything into their game.
We have to remember that these players are still very young and it is important that they have fun while playing as well.
It is not just about winning. As a league we feel that these young players should be recognised and encouraged at this young age, with this in mind we would like to present to each and every Under 11 player with a campaign trophy for being a part of this great league.
Welcomed onto the stage to receive their campaign trophies were:
- Cheshire Blades Eaglepride
- AFC Alsager Cougars
- Wistaston Athletic
- AFC Alsager Gunners
- AFC Alsager
All the Under 11 teams that could not attend received their medals via their team managers.
For the Under 12 Div 2 the winners of this season’s fair play award went to AFC Alsager Fireblades and for the Under 14 Div one, The Cougars.
All the final division standings were complete so it was now time to announce the winners.
- The winners of the Under 11 Div one for the 2012-2013 season are AFC Alsager Cougars.
- The winners of the Under 11 Div two title for 2012-2013 season are Crewe FC Cobras.
- The Under 12’s Div One league title for 2012-2013 goes to Ruskin Park Rovers.
- The Under 12’s Div Two title for 2012-2013 goes to Nantwich Town Jaguars.
- The Under 13’s league winners this season goes to ASC Red Dot.
- Winners of this years Under 14 Division goes to The Cougars.
The presentation awards continued with thanks from the leagues to WSLI, Wistaston Athletic, Ruskin Park and Kidsgrove Athletic for allowing the use of their facilities for the finals.
Next was the time for the winners of the League to receive their Cups, so in order each team were welcomed onto the stage:
- Under 13 WS Finalists = Brookfield Rangers
- Under 13 WS Winners = AFC Alsager
- Under 13 LC Finalists = Betley
- Under 13 LC Winners = ASC Red Dot
- Under 12 WS Finalists = Crewe FC Tigers
- Under 12 WS Winners = Crewe FC Panthers
- Under 12 LC Finalists = Nantwich Town
- Under 12 LC Winners = Ruskin Park Rovers
- Under 11 WS Finalists = Cheshire Blades Eaglepride
- Under 11 WS Winners = AFC Alsager Gunners
- Under 11 LC sponsored by Concorde Trophies Finalists = AFC Alsager Cougars
- Under 11 LC sponsored by Concorde Trophies Winners = AFC Alsager
Thanks and appreciations were then given out to all who have been involved in helping the League be what it is today and all the hard work that has given, thanks also went out to Dario Gradi and Paul Antrobus for taking the time out to attend the celebrations.
The evening was then finished off with much socializing between all League members, players and family members whilst a disco, supplied by Excalibur Entertainment helped to party the night away.
The Crewe News would like to congratulate all players in their achivements during the past season, and wish them all the best for the 2013-2014 season. We would also like to thank the SCYL committee for inviting us along to report on the evenings celebrations.
Information supplied by League Secretary Dave Brooks of SCYL
Photos ©Jason Griffiths 2013