Fire crews were called to a Bungalow in Wistaston on Saturday evening March 1st at around 7pm.
When the fire service arrived on scene at the property on Prior close they found that the was already well established and had now started spreading to the roof.
Three fire crews, including four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, used two hose reel jets and one covering jet to tackle the blaze.
A large fan was also used to clear smoke, as the fire was being extinuished.
The fire service have sadly confirmed that this fire had claimed the life of a 74 year old lady.
They used thermal imaging cameras to check the property next door and found the fire had not spread through.
Cheshire Police and the local ambulance services attended this incident.
A full investigation is now underway and the fire service have confirmed that the fire is to have been electrical and may have started from a faulty fridge.