By Jason Griffiths
Firefighters from across South Cheshire today battled a serious blaze at Hutchins on Herbert Street in Crewe.
Scores of firefighters arrived on scene in appliances from Crewe, one from Sandbach, one from Holmes Chapel and one from Middlewich.
A further three fire engines were called to the scene, along with the Cheshire Police Helicopter.
Residents from the area were evacuated as giant plumes of dense black smoke were seen rising hundreds of feet into the air.
People took to social media sites reporting that the smoke cloud could be seen from as far away as Congleton, Stoke, Nantwich and Tarporley.
The smoke cloud was also reported to be viewable along the M6 motorway through South Cheshire.
Cheshire Fire And Rescue reported that they believed the fire started in three commercial greenhouses within the Hutchins site on Herbert Street in Crewe.
They also advised residents living nearby to keep their windows and doors closed to avoid homes being filled with smoke.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue said:
“The incident is at Hutchins on Herbert Street. Fire crews have set up what we call ‘water curtains’ to protect the neighbouring properties, which have been evacuated as a precaution.
The incident does involve a high voltage electricity cable and so crews are liaising with Manweb”.
Cheshire Police reported:
“Police have closed Sydney Road at its junction with Lansdowne Road and Wheatley Road while firefighters work to control the blaze”.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue added:
“The incident is still ongoing. Manweb have had to turn the power off to a number of homes on Herbert Street and Foxholme Court, Crewe.
Those residents affected are being advised to go to the Sydney Arms Pub where more information will be available”.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue remain on scene 18:30hrs issuing the following statement:
“Hose reel jets are being used to dampen down the area of the fire.
This is going to take some time.
Although, a full fire investigation has not yet taken place, we can say that at this stage it is not looking like the cause of the fire was suspicious”.
Visit The Crewe News Facebook Page for videos and photos sent in from residents and onlookers as the incident unfolded.
Full incident details can be found via the link below